Keep Your Pets Safe This Holiday Season
‘Tis the season to eat, drink and be merry. But as you’re planning for holiday festivities around the home, it’s important to be mindful of foods and decorations that can harm your pets. The following tips can help you keep your furry friends safe this holiday season:
Use caution when choosing seasonal floral arrangements. Mistletoe and holly, two of the most traditional holiday plants, are toxic to your pets; mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems when ingested, and holly can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In addition, many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats when eaten. Silk or plastic plants can be just as festive as the real thing, and won’t harm your pets.
Cover the well of your Christmas tree stand. The stagnant water found in your Christmas tree stand may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset and bacteria that can cause nausea or diarrhea if your pet decides to take a drink.
Ditch the tinsel. These shimmery ribbons are irresistible toys to cats. But if swallowed, tinsel can obstruct your cat’s digestive tract, resulting in vomiting and dehydration.
Don’t share your feast with your pets. Feeding your pet holiday leftovers can upset their stomach. And don’t leave chocolate or treats made with xylitol – both of which are toxic to your pets – laying around unattended.