Keep Your Pets Safe From Harmful Toxins
There are many toxins in our homes and in our yards – some that you are aware of, some that you may not be – that can be dangerous to your pets. In recognition of poison prevention awareness month, we’ve compiled a list of the most harmful toxins that may be lurking in and around your home.
- Prescription medications. This one seems like a no brainer; yet 25,000 calls were made to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) last year due to pets ingesting human medications. So be sure to keep your medicine secure and out of the reach of your pets.
- Insecticides. Be sure to read the label on any insecticide product before using it on your lawn or in your home. 11% of the calls fielded by the the APCC last year were the result of pets being exposed to harmful insecticides.
- Human food. Despite the warnings that chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and increased heart rate in pets, chocolate is the number one human food ingested by pets. Xylitol, a natural sugar substitute, is the second most ingested food by pets, and can cause seizures or even liver failure in dogs.
- Lawn and garden products. Many fertilizers are made with ingredients that are harmful to your pets, such as dried blood, poultry manure and bone meal. Read fertilizer labels carefully to determine if they may contain ingredients that are toxic to your pets. And if you use them, store them in a place where your pet can’t get to them.
- Rodenticides. Bait that is used to kill mice and rats is often grain based and can be attractive to dogs. But if ingested, they may cause kidney failure, internal bleeding, or seizures in your pooch.